Liver Detox and Foods for a Healthy LiverFood & Drink
The liver is a very important organ for our body as it has many functions. It cleanses the toxins out of the blood, stores certain vitamins and minerals and controls fats, amino acids glucose and cholesterol. Liver also combats infections in the body. Liver breaks down the foods and creates energy. Liver also creates enzymes and proteins in the body.
It is important to maintain a healthy liver for the healthy body. Bad lifestyle and intake of certain foods can damage the liver. Alcohol, tobacco and stimulants like tea and coffee are bad for the liver. Food additives, pesticides and environmental pollutants can have bad effect on liver. You should avoid fried foods and foods high in saturated fats.
In the case of liver imbalance you can face certain health problems. General symptoms that can that can indicate a liver problem are depression, anxiety, headaches, fatigue, skin problems, allergies to foods, bloating, digestive problems, bad breath and jaundice.
Foods for a Healthy Liver
Basically you need two types of foods for healthy liver. One, foods that promote the detoxification process of the liver and two, foods rich in antioxidants. The liver diet should be including of B vitamins, magnesium, selenium, sulphur, iron, protein and carbohydrates. Liver also needs antioxidants to function properly. So it is important to consume foods high in antioxidants. Antioxidants help reduce the damage to the liver caused by toxins. Besides these it is necessary to drink lots of water to keep the liver healthy. Drinking warm water with freshly squeezed lemon in the morning promotes liver detoxification. Try to drink 2.5 litres of water every day.
Top Foods for Your Liver
Here is a list of specific foods which are really good for the liver health. This will help readers to identify liver foods easily.
• Vegetables: Green vegetables are very good for liver detoxification. Some of the great vegetables for the liver are artichoke, cabbage, cauliflower, spinach, broccoli, brussles sprouts, green peas and green beans. Some other liver friendly vegetables are carrots, yams, whole beets, papaya, dandelion, avocado, garlic, onions and tomatoes. Bell peppers or Cayenne peppers are also very healthy for the liver.
• Fruits: Fruits which are good for the liver are apples, oranges, lemons, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raisins, prunes, asparagus and watermelon.
• Nuts & Seeds: Brazil nuts are very good sources of antioxidants and selenium thus great for the liver. Vitamin E rich sunflower seeds are also wonderful for the liver. Walnuts and Caraway seeds are very good for liver too.
• Eggs, Fish & Meat: Lean protein foods such as eggs (especially egg yolks), fish, chicken and a little lean red meat are good for the liver.
• Other Foods: Brown rice, legumes and yogurt are good for the liver. Soybeans, oat bran, green tea and wheat grass juice are good for keep the liver healthy.
It is advisable to eat plenty of raw foods and fruits. Try to buy organic foods to avoid the pesticides. Chew your foods well before swallowing and limit or avoid the intake of extra sugar and salt.